Pages

Thursday 25 March 2010

Oil Lamp - Part 2



To make the flame I first choose the Sphere gizmo then I made an arc around the middle of the lamp. I only needed the flame pointing up so I un-ticked the hemisphere box in the modify panel which took the bottom part of the arc away. next I re-sized the arc so the flame would be the right height and width. I wanted the flame to be as big I could get it because the lamp will be quite small in the opening scene and I want it to be noticeable.



Next I added a Fire Effect to the Atmosphere and Effects here I experimented with shape and characteristics of the fire. I needed to make the fire look more like a single flame which was more realistic for a lamp. Finally I wanted to add a flicker to the lamp. I'm not 100% sure I want the flicker because the lamp might work better illuminating the old man with just a fixed omni light. As I was dealing with the flame now I thought I'll add the flicker now to see if it worked. I first set the frame to 300 and turned the auto key on then I opened up the the track view editor and changed the frequency and strength in the noise controller.



Now I needed to add some materials to the lamp. I wanted the lamp to look old and used to match the old mans house and the roughness of the story. I came across a nice texture of a sheet of metal with rust on, I added the texture to both the defused and bump maps. Overall I'm happy with the lamp but ill have to wait and see how the light looks when I add it to the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment